Activities Held March 15-16 at Academy Museum, Historic Homes, N.C. History Center
"This year, I think Civil War Weekend is bringing a level of excitement to the Academy Museum that we haven't seen in several years," said Philippe Lafargue, acting director for Tryon Palace. "We have activities occurring all over the site, but at the Academy it's going to be very busy with the Confederate encampment, cannon drills, and the most interesting of all, our new Civil War exhibit." "Face to Face" invites visitors to experience New Bern's Occupation through the eyes of African Americans, Confederates, Union soldiers, and women caught between both North and South. Spanning the March 1862 invasion of Burnside's forces, through the devastation of the 1864 yellow fever epidemic, "Face to Face" reveals the daily lives of both military officials and citizens under their rule through artifacts, audiovisual panels, compelling stories, and period images. Medicine, emancipation, education, espionage, and traditional mourning of the dead are some of the themes explored through the framework of wartime and its challenges. This exhibit also brings together sketches by soldier-artists, including Tryon Palace's own Fred W. Smith collection, portraying scenes of civilian and camp life. Other featured Civil War artifacts include:
- Civil War drum captured at the Battle of New Bern, March 14, 1861
- Civil War-era patriotic apron on loan from the New Bern Historical Society
- Amputation kit from the Civil War period
- Recreated hospital scene depicting a yellow fever outbreak
KINSTON, NC Mar. 6, 2014 - This Monday, March 10 at 10 a.m., the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources' State Underwater Archeology team will be on the Neuse River to search for remnants of the ironclad CSS Neuse using the latest in high resolution technology. Their vessel, a 23' boat named the R/V Snap dragon II, will patrol the river between the King Street bridge and the Queen Street bridge for about five hours. The focus of the expedition will be to gather data on any objects from the Confederate built ironclad that was destroyed in March 1865.
ROANOKE ISLAND, NC Mar. 7, 2014 N.C. Aquarium on Roanoke Island art exhibition “Enchanted Seas: The Papier Mâché Art of Carol Willett” March 7–-July 7, 2014 The Gypsy Fish Wife, Musical Lute Fish, Jules the Giant Squid, the Carolina Card Shark, and a host of other fabulous creatures have taken up residence in the N.C. Aquarium on Roanoke Island Nautilus Art Gallery through July 7, 2014. Inspired by the ocean, literature, and the artist’s lifelong interest in cross-cultural mythology and crafted from recycled materials, paint, glitter, seashells and love, seventeen sea creatures by Outer Banks artist Carol Willett are delighting guests with a romp through Enchanted Seas of visual puns and near-magical art. Surrounded by her creations on every wall of her home in Southern Shores, the artist is more multifaceted than her 17-sided house. After retiring from her work with the U.S. Government, Willett began exploring her interest in cloth and papier mâché and found that sculpting in this medium is another way to do what she has always like to do—uncovering new possibilities and developing potential. An upstairs sunroom serves as a studio where her collection of beach finds and items normally bound for the recycling bin occupy a large closet and a mysterious antique Chinese medicine chest. Each piece of art is unique and requires 1 to 6 weeks to produce, depending on size and complexity. Willet says, “The best years of my life have been spent by the sea. . .on travels around the world and now on Outer Banks. What the tides leave behind enchants me, and I regularly meld objects from the sea and shore into my creatures of imagination. This exhibit is a small sampling of the many mammals, myriad mythical creatures, perky personalities and sea life I’ve sculpted since moving to Southern Shores in 2010. My sculpture recycles newspaper, catalogs, cardboard, coat hangers, old bed sheets, plastic, glass and natural materials into new life forms . .my creatures happily detour off the beaten path into the realm of imagination. I hope the creatures make you smile, if not laugh right out loud. Their mission, and mine, is to create joy in our world.” Says art show curator Kitty Dough, “The Aquarium is delighted to host Carol’s creatures of Enchanted Seas where fish dream, Jazzy Jellies sport nautical ‘bling’ and Social Morays take on a whole new meaning!”
James Buescher and Ty Dillon to appear in T4 Zone HospitalityDARLINGTON, SC Mar. 5, 2014 – A star-studded lineup of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers has been confirmed for the Darlington Stripe Zone Fan Hospitality.
Coca-Cola Racing Family members Tony Stewart, Danica Patrick, and Ryan Newman are all scheduled for 15-minute question and answer sessions in the popular fan hospitality area on Saturday, April 12 prior to the Bojangles’ Southern 500. For fans that have not yet purchased a Stripe Zone hospitality package, this is the perfect opportunity to see NASCAR drivers in person, while enjoying the amenities the all-inclusive Stripe Zone has to offer.
DARLINGTON RACEWAY TICKETS
For $140 per package (plus the cost of a grandstand ticket), fans receive a pre-race cold pit pass (shirt and shoes required), full meal and snacks, unlimited non-alcohol beverage service until the scheduled race start, four beer coupons to guests 21 years of age and older, a Darlington-branded gift, event program and live entertainment. Combine that with scheduled driver appearances by Stewart, Patrick and Newman and it’s the perfect package for any race fan. “This is one of the best driver lineups we’ve had in our Darlington Stripe Zone Hospitality,” Darlington Raceway President Chip Wile said. “Having NASCAR Sprint Cup Series stars Tony Stewart, Danica Patrick, and Ryan Newman make appearances really adds to the already tremendous value of the Stripe Zone package, while giving our great fans all-inclusive race day experience.” In addition to the Stripe Zone, Darlington Raceway continues to offer race fans a hospitality option on Friday, April 11, prior to the Nationwide Series VFW Sport Clips Help a Hero 200. The T4 Zone hospitality package offers a similar all-inclusive experience with scheduled driver appearances by rising stars James Buescher and Ty Dillon. Each T4 Zone package consists of limited pre-race cold pit pass access, full meal and snacks, unlimited non-alcohol beverages until the scheduled race start time, two beer coupons for guests 21 years of age or older, Darlington-branded gift and souvenir program, all for $75 per package (plus the cost of a grandstand ticket). All hospitality packages and tickets can be purchased by calling 866-459-7223 or visiting www.DarlingtonRaceway.com. *Times and appearances are subject to change.
Tickets to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Bojangles’ Southern 500 on Saturday, April 12 and Nationwide Series VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200 on Friday, April 11 are on sale now! Remember, kids 12 and under are half off for the Bojangles’ Southern 500 and FREE for the VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200 in general admission sections. Visit www.DarlingtonRaceway.com or call 866-459-7223 for tickets. You can keep up with all of the latest news from Darlington Raceway at DarlingtonRaceway.com, on Facebook at Facebook.com/DarlingtonRaceway and on Twitter at Twitter.com/TooToughToTame.
“Music, Noise, & Silence,” Part of NCS Kids Series, Features Magic Circle Mime Company RALEIGH, NC Mar. 4, 2014 - The North Carolina Symphony, led by David Glover, will enchant young audiences with “Music, Noise & Silence,” with Magic Circle Mime Co., on Saturday, March 8, 2014, at 1 p.m., and again at 4 p.m., in Meymandi Concert Hall in downtown Raleigh’s Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts.In the program, the concert seems doomed as Silence and Noise attempt to seize control of the orchestra. Only with the help of the audience and Music will the conductor be able to break the fierce grip of Noise and bring harmony back to the orchestra. The 1 p.m. performance will also offer audio description for patrons who are visually impaired and American Sign Language for those who are hearing impaired, in partnership with Arts Access. David Glover is currently the Assistant Conductor of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and Artistic Director of the Wabash Valley Youth Symphony. He has led numerous orchestras including the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, North Czech Philharmonic, Bulgarian Opera, Bourgas, and Hungarian Opera, Cluj. As a participant in numerous competitions, he has placed in the semi-finals of the Bartok Opera Competition and was the youngest person to pass the preliminary round of the Cadeques Competition in 2008. In addition, Mr. Glover has held positions as the Ansbacher Fellow to the Salzburg Festival, and Conductor of the Indiana University All-Campus Orchestra. Magic Circle Mime Co. has performed with virtually every major orchestra in North America and has a growing reputation around the world. In the Pacific Rim and Far East they have performed at festivals and with major orchestras in Australia, China, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore and Taiwan. They made their European debut with the Palau de la Música de Valencia in April of 2007. The company is the creative partnership of Maggie Petersen and Douglas MacIntyre. Both artists have backgrounds in theater and instrumental music, and have utilized that training to create their highly regarded programs. The 2013/14 NCS Kids Young People's Concerts are perfect for families and children ages 4-12. Each performance also features fun, interactive activities related to the concert's theme, beginning in Meymandi Concert Hall's Swalin Lobby one hour before the concert. Activities include a North Carolina Symphony Instrument Zoo that introduces kids of all ages to Symphony instruments, face-painting, crafts from Marbles Kids Museum, plus a visit from Kidsville News mascot Truman. Concert tickets are $20, and are available at the door one hour prior to concert start time. For more information on the NCS Kids program, go to www.ncsymphony.org/kids. The Series Partner for NCS Kids is WakeMed. This concert is made possible in part by the Drs. James and Mary Susan Fulghum Fund. The N.C. Symphony is a unit of the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources.
WILMINGTON, NC Mar. 4, 2014 - Commemorating the life of the great apostle of Ireland, St. Patrick's Day has become one of the most popular cultural events in the United States. Join us for the Annual Guinness St. Patrick's Day Festival & Parade, on Saturday March 15th, 2014 in Downtown Wilmington. Festivities start at 11:00am with the 15th annual St. Patrick's Day Parade, hosted by the Friends of Hibernian's.
- Nature Nuts: Bobcats – March 12, March 21, 9-11 a.m. For 4-7 years old. Join staff in exploring the world of bobcats while learning about their life cycle, habitat needs and more.
- Eco Explorers: Casting – March 12, March 21, 1-3 p.m. For 8-13 years old. Enjoy an afternoon learning the fundamentals of casting a fly rod. Equipment and materials are provided. Limited to 8 participants.
- Introduction to Fly Fishing – March 5 and March 19, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Ages 12 and older. Come for a day of fun while learning the basics of fly fishing. Topics include equipment, knots and casting techniques. Equipment and materials provided. Bring a lunch. Limited to 6 participants.
- Fly Fishing: Tuckasegee River – March 6, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Ages 12 and older. Spend a morning with experienced fly-fishing instructors as we fish the delayed harvest section of the Tuckasegee River. Equipment and materials provided. Bring a lunch. Limited to 6 participants.
- Casting: Level I – March 11, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Ages 12 and older. Take an introductory class on various casting techniques, with experienced instructors assisting students to learn at their own pace. This class is held at Lake Imaging in DuPont State Recreational Forest. All equipment and materials are provided. Bring a lunch.
- Hunter Education Certification – March 18-20, 6–9:30 p.m. Hunter education instruction covers safety, conservation, wildlife identification, survival and first aid in a three-day course. There are no minimum age requirements, but classes are taught at a sixth-grade level and tests must be completed without assistance. Attendees must be present all three days.
- Archery – March 27, 10-11:30 a.m. Ages 12 and older. An introductory class on the basics of archery. Topics include safety, proper shooting technique and equipment overview. All equipment and materials are provided.
- Pellet Rifle Shooting Range – March 27, 1-2:30 p.m. Ages 8-15. Take an introductory class on the basics of shooting. Topics include safety, proper shooting technique and equipment overview. All equipment and materials are provided.
FAYETTEVILLE, NC Mar. 4, 2014 — The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission is hosting the 3rd Annual Kayak, Fish and Float workshop on April 5 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center in Fayetteville.The free workshop will include fishing how-to seminars and demonstrations of popular fishing kayaks. Mark Patterson, of the N.C. Kayak Fishing Association, along with Hobie Kayak Pro Angler Capt. Jerry Dilsaver, will present workshops throughout the day on the following topics:
- Kayak Safety and Rigging;
- Offshore Fishing for King Mackerel;
- Inshore Kayak Fishing for Redfish, Flounder and Speckled Trout; and,
- Fresh water kayaking for Bass, Panfish, Catfish and Carp.
LINKIN PARK & THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS
ANNOUNCE NORTH AMERICAN TOUR
WITH SPECIAL GUEST AFI
(formerly Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre)
- Tickets On Sale Beginning Friday, March 7; Fan Club Presales Begin Today -LOS ANGELES, CA Mar. 4, 2014 - At a live multi-media press conference from MILK Studios in Los Angeles, Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda of LINKIN PARK and Jared Leto of THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS announced they will join forces this summer for The Carnivores Tour, with special guest AFI. Fans were able to watch and participate in the hi-tech conference in real-time, through VyRT, an interactive social media theater that enables live events to be broadcast in high quality worldwide. The Carnivores Tour, sponsored in-part by Infinity and promoted by Live Nation, will kick-off on Friday, August 8 in West Palm Beach at the Cruzan Amphitheatre and will hit 25 cities in every part of the country and will include three shows in Canada. The three multi-platinum bands will bring an unforgettable night of music featuring some of the biggest rock & alternative radio hits from the past decade. In explaining the unusual name of the tour, co-lead singer of LINKIN PARK Mike Shinoda says, "Carnivores is a metaphor that is meant to convey an appetite for something visceral and substantive, and I feel that’s exactly the hunger this tour will feed." Jared Leto of THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS adds, "We are so excited to join our friends on this epic journey. It's going to be the adventure of a lifetime." Tickets for The Carnivores Tour will go on sale Friday, March 7 at www.livenation.com, via the Live Nation mobile app, the Belk box office at PNC Music Pavilion, all Ticketmaster outlets, by phone at 800-745-3000, and via the band's websites. Members of the LINKIN PARK and THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS fan clubs can take part in an exclusive presales TODAY at 6:00 PM EST and 8:00 PM EST respectively. More information available at www.lpunderground.com and www.thirtysecondstomars.com.
# # #Aug 8 West Palm Beach, FL @ Cruzan Amphitheatre Aug 9 Tampa, FL @ George M. Steinbrenner Field Aug 12 Charlotte, NC @ PNC Music Pavilion Aug 13 Bristow, VA @ Jiffy Lube Live Aug 15 Camden, NJ @ Susquehanna Bank Center Aug 16 Mansfield, MA @ Xfinity Center Aug 18 Holmdel, NJ @ PNC Bank Arts Center Aug 19 Wantagh, NY @ Nikon At Jones Beach Theater Aug 21 Darien Center, NY @ Darien Lake Performing Arts Center Aug 23 Montreal, QC @ Parc Jean-Drapeau Aug 24 Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre Aug 26 St Paul, MN @ Minnesota State Fair Aug 27 Winnipeg, MB @ MTS Centre Aug 29 Tinley Park, IL @ First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre Aug 30 Clarkston, MI @ DTE Energy Music Theatre Sept 5 The Woodlands, TX @ The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion Sept 6 Dallas, TX @ Gexa Energy Pavilion Sept 8 Englewood, CO @ Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre Sept 10 Phoenix, AZ @ US Airways Center Sept 11 Irvine, CA @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheater * Sept 13 Quincy, WA @ The Gorge Amphitheatre Sept 15 Los Angeles, CA @ The Hollywood Bowl * Sept 16 Chula Vista, CA @ Sleep Train Amphitheatre Sept 18 Wheatland, CA @ Sleep Train Amphitheatre Sept 19 Concord, CA @ Concord Pavilion * - AFI will not be on the dates LINKIN PARK is a Grammy-Award-winning, multi-platinum alternative rock band comprised of co-lead vocalist, Chester Bennington, drummer/percussionist, Rob Bourdon, guitarist Brad Delson, bassist Dave 'Phoenix' Farrell, DJ, programmer Joe Hahn and Mike Shinoda - co-lead vocals, keyboards, guitar. The band has sold over 50 million albums worldwide, and is the biggest band on Facebook - with over 60 million fans and counting. In the span of time since 2000, when LINKIN PARK debuted on the Billboard 200 – no other artist has had more top 10 singles on the Alternative chart and, with the release of their latest album, LIVING THINGS (Machine Shop Recordings /Warner Bros), which reached #1 in over 20 countries, no other band has achieved more #1 albums this century. On their most recent touring cycle, the band played to over a million people, in 79 shows, on six continents. In 2005, LINKIN PARK founded Music For Relief, a 501 © (3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing aid to victims of natural disasters and the prevention of such disasters. Since its inception, Music For Relief has raised over 5 million dollars for victims of multiple disasters across four continents. The organization was recognized by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon for the Download to Donate program to raise funds and awareness in the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake. In recognition of its humanitarian work, LINKIN PARK received a 2011 Global Leadership Award from the United Nations Foundation. www.linkinpark.com THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS – comprising of Jared Leto, Shannon Leto and Tomo Milicevic – has sold over five million albums worldwide and the band’s videos have more than 300 million views on YouTube. The group has received numerous awards, including a dozen MTV awards worldwide, a Billboard Music award and honors from NME, Kerrang! and Fuse. The band released their 4th studio album LUST LOVE FAITH + DREAMS (Virgin Records) on March 18th, 2013, which debuted at #6 on the Billboard 200 in May. Their latest single “City Of Angels” went top 10 and continues to grow on the alternative radio airplay charts. A short film inspired by the single was released on October 29th, 2013 which tells the story about Los Angeles and features an eclectic cast of characters including Kanye West, Steve Nash, Alan Cumming, Lindsay Lohan, Juliette Lewis, Selena Gomez, Shaun White, Ashley Olsen and more. Last December, the band released their critically acclaimed music documentary ARTIFACT on iTunes worldwide which chronicles the band’s legal battles with record label EMI. For more information please visit www.thirtysecondstomars.com. AFI Multi-platinum alt-rock band AFI are touring in support of their electrifying new release BURIALS, praised by the Los Angeles Times as an album of “ferocious rock performances.” Led by “17 Crimes” and “I Hope You Suffer,” whose combined YouTube views are well past the two million mark, BURIALS entered Billboard’s Top 200 at No. 9 and the iTunes Alternative Chart at No. 2. USA Today gave the album 3 (out of 4) stars, Alternative Press gave it 4 (out of 5), Rolling Stone hailed it as “massive-sounding” and Revolver proclaimed, “it may be the most brilliant record AFI has ever made.” Over the course of their career, AFI have written and recorded five top ten hit singles (“Miss Murder,” “Medicate,” “Love Like Winter,” “Silver and Gold,” “Girl’s Not Grey”), hit No. 1 on The Billboard 200 (with the stunning Decemberunderground), garnered critical acclaim and amassed a fiercely loyal international following whose members number in the millions. http://www.afireinside.net/ VYRT Founded in 2011, VyRT gives artists the opportunity to sell digital tickets to live events that are broadcast worldwide in an online social theater. A high quality, high production value event, VyRT centers around the idea of creativity and community, enabling artists the ability to share their work without having to rely on a sponsor-based model. Providing a one-of-a-kind digital experience, VyRT has proven online success with live broadcast events from artists such as THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS and The Jonas Brothers. A growing community, VyRT users can engage with like-minded individuals by creating a free account and join in interactive conversations privately or within the community setting, all centering around a live event. https://beta.vyrt.com About Live Nation Entertainment: Live Nation Entertainment (NYSE: LYV) is the world’s leading live entertainment company comprised of four market leaders: Ticketmaster, Live Nation Concerts, Artist Nation Management and Live Nation Media/Sponsorship. For additional information, visit www.livenation.com/investors