DENTON, TX Feb. 15, 2014
SETTING THE SCENE
• East Carolina will play its final regular season game in the Lone Star State as a Conference USA member Saturday against league newcomer North Texas. It’ll be the first meeting between the Pirates and Mean Green in 30 years.
• East Carolina has won each of its last two Saturday games, defeating UTSA at home last week and defeating UAB in Birmingham two weeks ago.
• North Texas has compiled an 8-5 record at home, while the Pirates are just 3-6 on the road.
• Both teams are coming off losses on Thursday. The Pirates fell at Tulsa, 76-58, while North Texas lost at home to Old Dominion by 10, 72-62.
LAST TIME OUT
• Paris Roberts-Campbell scored 17 points, Akeem Richmond added 14 and Caleb White had 10 in a 76-58 loss to Tulsa. The Golden Hurricane ended the game on a 32-13 run over the final 11:48 after ECU held a 45-44.
• The Pirates shot 38.9 percent from the field (21-54) and 37.5 percent (9-24) behind the arc. TU connected on 48.3 percent of its field goals (28-58) and made 12 of 13 free throws in the second half. ECU only shot 11 free throws.
• Tulsa out-scored ECU 36-16 in the paint and got 19 points off offensive rebounds compared to ECU’s three. The Hurricane also scored 21 points off 12 turnovers, while the Pirates only got 8 points off 10 TU miscues.
• Akeem Richmond leads all NCAA Division I players with an average 4.60 3-pointers per game. He’s made three or more in 15 consecutive games. Richmond needs two 3s to move into sole possession of fifth-place on the Conference USA single season list, currently occupied by former Houston guard Robert McKiver (116).
• East Carolina leads Conference USA in free throw percentage (.718) and 3-point field goals per game (8.4), while ranking second in 3-point percentage (.364).
• Freshman Caleb White has scored 17 or more points in three of the last five games, including 18 against UTSA and Middle Tennessee.
• The Pirates have made nine 3s in three of the last four games. They have made less than six a in a C-USA game just once this year (4 vs. Tulane).
• The Pirates and Mean Green split their previous two meetings. North Texas won the first meeting between the two, 62-58, in Peoria, Ill. on Dec. 21, 1983 at the River City Shootout hosted by Bradley University. The Pirates returned the favor a year later at the First Tulsa Classic, posting a 70-65 win on Dec. 29, 1984.
• The Pirates will return home to face Louisiana Tech and Rice next week. The Pirates and Bulldogs will go at it Thursday, Feb. 20, while the Owls invade Williams Arena at Minges Coliseum Saturday, Feb. 22, at 5 p.m.