CHARLESTON, SC October 1, 2013 – For the second-straight year, the College of Charleston women’s basketball team will participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Event – an annual gathering that helps raise awareness for breast cancer.
The event – which takes place on Saturday, Oct. 19, at the Family Circle Cup Stadium on Daniel Island – will celebrate survivors, co-survivors, friends and families of those befallen by a disease that affects 1.3 million new people every year. A series of 5K runs, fitness walks other activities helps to raise funds to combat the illness.
Last year’s race – the 19th edition – was attended by more than 10,000 people, with even more expected this time around.
About Breast Cancer: Breast cancer is a type of cancer where cells in the breast tissue divide and grow without normal control. It is a widespread and random disease, striking women and men of all ages and races. It is the most prevalent cancer in the world today, with about 1.3 million people diagnosed annually. The exact cause of the disease is unknown, and at this time, there is no cure.
Information on Susan G. Komen for the Cure: The Lowcountry Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure—along with those who generously support us with their talent, time and resources—is working to better the lives of those facing breast cancer in our community. We join more than 100,000 breast cancer survivors and activists around the globe as part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Lowcountry Race for the Cure®, we have invested more than $5.5 million in local breast health and breast cancer awareness projects in 17 counties. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Komen Lowcountry Affiliate stay in our 17-county service area while the remaining 25 percent goes to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Award and Research Grant Programs supporting research, awards and educational and scientific programs around the world. Join us by calling (843) 556-8011.
Contact Information for Registering as a Volunteer:
(843) 556-8011, email@example.com