CLEMSON, SC September 18, 2013 – The Clemson volleyball program will play Alabama (@AlabamaVBall), Troy (@TroyVBall) and Delaware (@UDBlueHens) as part of the Clemson Classic in Jervey Gym this week. The Tigers (5-3) will open play in the round-robin event against Alabama in the #JamJervey match on Friday at 7:00pm. The Tigers will then take on Troy (5-6) at 12:30 pm and Delaware (6-5) at 7:00 pm on Saturday.
All matches are free to the public, and Clemson’s matches will be broadcast for free in HD on TigerCast with Don Munson and Christine Williamson (@baldgirlclemson). Live scoring will also be available for the event, and fans can follow @ClemsonVB on twitter for scoring and tournament information as well.
Clemson and Alabama have met seven times previously, with Clemson claiming the most recent matchup in the 2007 NCAA Tournament first round in Jervey Gym. Clemson holds 1-0 marks over both the Blue Hens and Trojans, but the programs have not met for 30 years.
- Fri. – Jam Jervey! Help us pack the house for this huge match against Alabama. First 200 will get a free t-shirt
- Sat. – Promotions throughout the matches; Autographs after the 7pm match.
- Throughout the weekend, the “Best Seats in the House” will be available, and fans will have the chance to sit in this special area based on a raffle before each match.
- 4:30 pm: Delaware v. Troy
- 7:00 pm: Clemson v. Alabama
- 10:00 am: Delaware v. Alabama
- 12:30 pm: Clemson v. Troy
- 4:30 pm: Troy v. Alabama
- 7:00 pm: Clemson v. Delaware
Notes (in 140 characters or less):
- Mo Simmons (@Mo_Money22) is 2nd in @ACCVolleyball at 4.22 kills/set
- Simmons has 962 career kills, needing just 38 this weekend for 1,000
- She also needs 4 digs for 800 and 4 blocks for 300 in her career
- Beta Dumancic ranks 9th in the ACC at 1.12 blocks per set; She coming off 11 kills, 8 blocks, 6 digs vs. UCF
- Kamryn Sherman earned her first start of the season vs. UCF, delivering car. highs in assists (46), blocks (3), and kills (4)
- Sherman had just two career blocks in 106 career sets prior to that match
- Kristin Faust had 22 digs in each of Clemson’s last two matches, five shy of her career-high
- Freshman Leah Perri had 13 kills, 8 blocks, and 7 digs against UCF
- DS Niki Collier is 114-116 (.982) in serve-receive this season
- Hannah Brenner ranks 6th in Clemson history with 3,070 career set assists
- Karis Watson (@karisw8) has now registered double-figure kills in five of eight matches this season, and through 8 matches, has surpassed her previous career total in kills
- #rejected Clemson’s 16.0 blocks against UCF were a season-high; Perri, Dumancic, and Watson each had 8 total blocks
- Clemson is +22 on service points this season