WINNABOW, NC July 31, 2013 – “Infernal Machines” were introduced into warfare by Confederate forces during the Civil War. A program on this innovation, which we now call torpedoes, will be presented at Brunswick Town/Fort Anderson State Historic Site Aug. 10, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The free program “Mine Games: Torpedo Warfare in the Cape Fear,” is the final of the 2nd Saturdays summer programs organized by the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources at historic sites and museums statewide. Information is online at www.2ndSaturdaysnc.com.
Visitors will learn about the role of obstructions and torpedoes during the Civil War and see examples of the weapons from the extensive display. There will be demonstrations throughout the day using a reproduction of the Wheatstone Exploder captured at Fort Anderson in February 1865. Small torpedoes will be detonated, and there will be artillery demonstrations by Adams’ Battery from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The 2nd Saturdays programs bring authentic North Carolina experiences and great family recreation to 37 state historic sites, seven history museums and two art museums statewide. Partners include Our State Magazine, Carolina Parent and WUNC-TV.
Brunswick Town was settled in 1726 as a port town and the first permanent settlement on the Lower Cape Fear River, and was attacked by Spanish privateers in 1748. It was site of the Stamp Act Rebellion in 1766. Brunswick Town was partially burned by British troops in 1776 and abandoned by the end of the Revolutionary War. Confederate forces constructed Fort Anderson on part of the town in 1862.
Today Brunswick Town/Fort Anderson preserves and interprets the history of Brunswick Town and Fort Anderson. It is located at 8884 St. Phillips Road, SE in Winnabow. Take Interstate 40 east to Wilmington where the interstate becomes College Road. Then take U.S. 17/74 south/west through Wilmington to the Southport/Leland exit. Take this exit and follow N.C. 133 south for approximately 17 miles and follow the signs to Brunswick Town. From Southport take N.C. 133 north approximately 15 miles to the site.
For additional information, please call (910) 371-6613 or visit http://www.nchistoricsites.org/brunswic/, or email email@example.com. Brunswick Town/Fort Anderson is part of the Division of State Historic Sites within the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources.