HOTEL D’AFRIQUE SITE SELECTED FOR INCLUSION
IN THE NATIONAL UNDERGROUND RAILROAD
HATTERAS, NC July 18, 2013 – A commemoration and monument dedication for the Hotel D’Afrique will take place on July 31 at 11 a.m. at the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum in Hatteras.
The site of the Hotel D’Afrique was recently identified as making a significant contribution to the understanding of the Underground Railroad and will be officially included in the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom.
Visitors to the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum might notice a black stone monument near the entrance commemorating the site of the Hotel D’Afrique. In August 1861, Union forces captured Hatteras Inlet. As word of the victory spread to the mainland, hundreds of former slaves descended upon the area which provided a safe haven. These former slaves would often help unload supply vessels, and, in exchange, would receive food and housing. The Hotel D’Afrique operated from 1861 to 1865.
After the commemoration, the public is welcome to attend a reception and presentations by Echoes of Heritage and historians Drew Pullen and Hari Jones beginning at 11:30 a.m. in the Museum.
About the Museum
The Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum is located at 59200 Museum Drive in Hatteras. Exhibits tell the stories of the USS Monitor, the Civil War, pirates, the U-85, lighthouses and the U.S. Life Saving Service, shipwrecks, heroic rescues, and mysteries of the deep. The Museum is part of the North Carolina Maritime Museum system, www.ncmaritimemuseums.com, which is also comprised of the North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort and the North Carolina Maritime Museum at Southport. All three museums are part of the Division of State History Museums in the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources, www.ncdcr.gov.