East Carolina at (19) NC State
Apr. 9, 2013 | 6 p.m. (ET)
RADIO: WNCT 1070 AM
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE GAME
• Tonight’s match-up will be the last of the season between the two schools … NC State took game one of the series last week in Greenville, 6-1 … The Pirates are coming off a series loss at home to No. 18 Rice (3-0, 3-2/13 inn., 8-7), while the Wolfpack swept No. 22 Virginia Tech at home (8-7/14 inn., 13-4, 7-3) … NC State made a jump in the national polls this week and come in at No. 19 this week, according to Collegiate Baseball … For the Pirates, this will be their fifth-straight game against a nationally-ranked team dating back to last weeks contest against the Wolfpack.
ODDS AND ENDS
• ECU has had a power surge of late at the dish hitting 15 home runs in its last 17 games with a season-high four at Elon … Chase McDonald leads the club with four homers, while Jay Cannon (three), Dylan Brown (three), Zach Houchins (two) and Luke Lowery (two) also have multi-homers on the year … Brown leads the club with 12 extra base hits (3 HRs, 7 doubles, 2 triples … Cannon saw his 17-game streak of reaching base safely come to an end against No. 27 NC State after going 0-for-4 … Freshman Travis Watkins leads the team with a .319 average and has recorded six multi-hit games.
• Heading into this weeks action, the Pirates rank third in Conference USA with a .272 batting average, while also ranking among the league leaders in home runs (19/t1st), slugging percentage (.373/2nd), runs scored (163/3rd), hits (297/3rd) and RBI (147/3rd) … On the flipside, ECU ranks towards the bottom of the league in ERA (4.55/8th), strikeouts (206/7th), runs allowed (170/8th) and opposing batting average (.276/9th).
• Through 32 games this season, the Pirates have allowed 185 free bases to opponents (136 walks, 49 hit batters), which leads Conference USA … ECU has been outscored by its opponents 170-163.
• Sophomore Jeff Hoffman earned ECU’s second Conference USA Pitcher-of-the-Week honor on Monday following his complete game, one-hit shutout against N.C. Central … Hoffman struck out seven batters, walked three and hit a pair in his first career complete game … He allowed just two runners to reach scoring position and retired 27 of 32 batters faces, including nine of the final 10 to pick up his third win of the season … It was the Pirates’ first one-hit complete game shutout since Ricky Brooks’ gem against Charlotte back on March 26, 2006 … This was Hoffman’s second career weekly honor from C-USA following his 10-strikeout performance at Elon (Apr. 10, 2012) in eight shutout frames.
• Redshirt freshman David Lucroy earned his first Conference USA Pitcher-of-the-Week honors after tossing a two-hit complete game shutout against Monmouth (Mar. 10) in the series clinching win … The right-hander struck out a career-high 12 batters with nine going down swinging … It was the first complete game shutout since Seth Maness’ 4-0 win over Southern Miss in the 2011 Conference USA Championships.
• Nine first year players have seen action on the diamond this season through 28 games … If you include players that redshirted during their first year in the Pirate program (2012 season), then 12 newcomers have stepped on the field during the regular season.
Tuesday: Karl Keglovits (RHP, 1-0, 6.23 ERA) vs. NIck Durazo (LHP, 0-2, 8.50 ERA)
PIRATES TO WATCH
• Durazo Notes: Scheduled to make his fourth start of the season at NC State (Apr. 9) … In last start got a no-decision at Elon (Mar. 27) working 4.2 innings allowing four runs (all earned) on four hits with two strikeouts and on walk … Suffered loss against High Point (Mar. 20) allowing four runs (all earned) on four hits with three walks and four strikeouts in 5.1 innings … In first career start vs. ODU (Mar. 12) allowed two runs (both earned) on six hits with three strikeouts in six full frames … Appeared in six games on the season surrendering 17 runs (all earned) on 19 hits with nine strikeouts and nine walks in 18.0 innings.
• Junior Drew Reynolds enters the game with a team-best seven game hitting streak … During the streak, he is batting .360 (9-for-25) with four RBI, four runs and a pair of doubles … On the mound, Reynolds is coming off a career-long outing where he worked 5.0 scoreless innings against No. 18 Rice with four strikeouts in ECU’s 3-2 13-inning victory and lowered his ERA to a team-best 1.80 … He ranks third in C-USA and leads ECU with six saves (6-for-7 in save opportunities) … His 16 career saves moves him into a tie for third place on the school’s all-time list with former All-American Greg Bunn (2002-04).
• Zach Houchins picked up his third game-winning RBI in the last seven games with his walk-off RBI single in the 13th inning against No. 18 Rice, that scored Jack Reinheimer … Other game-winning RBIs were at Elon (Mar. 27) and N.C. Central (Mar. 29) … On the season he is batting .242 (22-for-91) with a pair of home runs 20 RBI, which is tied for the team lead … He ranks second behind Brown with 11 extra base hits (2 HRs, 8 doubles, 1 triple) and has scored 15 runs.
• ECU Head Coach Billy Godwin owns a career record of 530-264-1 in 14 season as a skipper … At ECU he is 268-179-1 … His 268 wins trails only ECU Hall of Famer Dr. Gary Overton, who amassed 427 wins in 13 years (1985-1997) as the Pirates’ skipper.