Baseball Games 17-19: East Carolina at Jacksonville
East Carolina at Jacksonville
Mar. 5, 2013 | 6:30 p.m. (EST)
RADIO: WNCT 1070 AM
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE GAME
• Friday’s game will be the third meeting between the two schools with ECU holding a 1-0-1 all-time record … It will also pit a pair of MLB prospects against one another with Chris Anderson (JU) going against Jeff Hoffman (ECU) toeing the rubber … Anderson, a junior, is projected to be a top-10 pick in the 2013 MLB Draft and sports an impressive 0.87 ERA … Hoffman, who is just a sophomore, is projected as a late first round selection in 2014 and owns a 2-1 record with a 3.42 ERA … The two clubs met in 1991 for two-game series with ECU winning the first every meeting 6-4, before tying the Dolphins the next day, 7-7 … Back in 2007 both teams were participants in the Chapel Hill Regional, but never faced one another.
ODDS AND ENDS
• ECU leads Conference USA with a .290 batting average with junior Jack Reinheimer (.345) ranking 10th in the league … On the flipside of things, the pitching staff ranks dead last with a 5.00 ERA … The starters boast a solid 3.26 ERA with 67 strikeouts to 31 walks in 91.0 innings, while the bullpen has struggled for an 7.98 ERA with 41 punch outs and 39 walks in 53.0 frames.
• Redshirt freshman David Lucroy earned Conference USA Pitcher-of-the-Week honors after tossing a two-hit complete game shutout against Monmouth (Mar. 10) in the series clinching win … The right-hander struck out a career-high 12 batters with nine going down swinging … It was the first complete game shutout since Seth Maness’ 4-0 win over Southern Miss in the 2011 Conference USA Championships.
• Heading into this week’s action, the Pirates have an RPI of 121 in both BoydsWorld and WarrenNolan’s calculations, which ranks fifth in C-USA … Houston leads the league with a 12-4 record and an RPI 48 by both websites.
• Junior Drew Reynolds leads C-USA and ranks sixth nationally with five saves heading into this weeks action … The right-hander picked up a pair of saves last week against UNCG (Mar. 5) and Monmouth (Mar. 9) and pushed his career total to 15, which is tied for fourth on ECU’s all-time saves list.
• Nine first year players have seen action on the diamond this season through 11 games … If you include players that redshirted during their first year in the Pirate program (2012 season), then 12 newcomers have stepped on the field during the regular season.
• After an 0-3 start, the Pirates have moved up the C-USA leader board and are fifth in the standings with a .563 winning percentage … ECU was picked third in the 2013 Conference USA preseason poll (by league coaches) after going 13-10-1 in league play a season ago, finishing in sixth.
Friday: Jeff Hoffman (RHP, 2-1, 3.42 ERA) vs. Chris Anderson (RHP, 2-1, 0.87 ERA)
Saturday: Ryan Williams (RHP, 3-0, 3.14 ERA) vs. Josh Baker (LHP, 0-3, 8.59 ERA)
Sunday: David Lucroy (RHP, 2-1, 1.33 ERA) vs. Alex McRae (RHP, 1-1, 3.95 ERA)
PIRATES TO WATCH
• Hoffman Notes: Worked 8.0 innings in a no-decision vs. Monmouth (Mar. 8) where he allowed 3 Rs (3 ERs) on 6 Hs w/4 Ks … Posted 2nd win of the season against St. John’s (Mar.1) going 7.0 innings allowing 3 Rs (2 ER) on 8 Hs w/ 2 Ks … Notched win vs. Illinois (Feb. 21) where he allowed just 1 R (1 ER) on 6 hits in 6.2 innings … Fanned a season-high 9 batters and recorded at least 1 K in four of six full frames including the side in the sixth … 7 of 9 strikeouts were of the swinging kind including four in a row – all three in sixth and first batter of the seventh … At one point, he retired nine straight Illinois batters before giving up a single in the sixth with two outs … Suffered loss on opening day to No. 25 Virginia allowing 4 Rs (all earned) on 4 Hs w/4 BBs & 7 Ks.
• Williams Notes: Made first appearance out of the bullpen against Campbell (Mar. 13) a run in one-third of an inning … Posted third consecutive win against Monmouth (Mar. 9) despite allowing 6 Rs (5 ERs) on 11 hits with 3 Ks in 7.1 IP … Got second-straight victory on the mound vs. St. John’s (Mar. 2) allowing a run (earned) on 7 Hs w/ one strikeout in 8 innings of work … Notched first win of ECU career against Boston College (Feb. 23) allowing one run (unearned) on six hits with five strikeouts … Made ECU debut on Feb. 16 against No. 25 Virginia working six innings, where he allowed 4 Rs (3 ER) on 6 Hs with 3 BBs and 2 Ks.
• Lucroy Notes: Tossed 2-hit CG shutout vs. Monmouth (Mar. 10) with a season-high 12 Ks and earned C-USA Pitcher-of-the-Week honors … Picked up first collegiate win against St. John’s (Mar. 3) fanning 9 batters in 6.1 innings … Allowed 2 Rs (both earned) on 2 Hs w/ 3 BBs … Tossed five scoreless innings in his first collegiate start against NMSU (Feb. 25) … Allowed 3 Hs w/ 3 BBs, while fanning three … Made collegiate debut against No. 25 Virginia coming out of the bullpen to face one batter … Redshirted during initial year of the program.
• Reinheimer currently leads the Pirates with a .345 average while sharing the team lead in hits (20) and walks (7) … Saw his nine-game hitting streak snapped against ODU (Mar. 12) … Last week (among ECU starters), Reinheimer posted a team-best .429 (6-for-14) average during the Pirates 3-1 week … With his double in the third inning against Monmouth on Sunday, he extended his current hitting streak to nine games … He also led the team in hits (six), walks (four) and stolen bases (two) on the week … Against UNCG he picked up his fifth multi-hit of the season going 2-for-3 with a pair of walks, two runs and a sac bunt … In the series opener against Monmouth, Reinheimer was 1-for-4 with a RBI, a walk and a stolen base … His lone hit was an RBI bunt single to third base that scored Zach Houchins … He followed that another two-hit performance (2-for-4) on the week, which was his team-leading sixth multi-hit game on Saturday … Reinheimer drew a walk for the third-straight contest and swiped his second base of the weekend and season.
• Junior first baseman Chase McDonald leads the Pirates with 13 RBI after picking up five last week where he also belted his first home run of the season … He batted just .250 (4-for-16), but scored three runs and added a pair of walks in four games … Drove in at least one run in 3 of 4 games including three against UNCG where he was 2-for-6 with an RBI single in the third and a two-RBI base hit in the eighth … Homered to lead off the sixth inning in the series opening loss to Monmouth, his ninth career homer … On the season he is batting .250 (15-for-60) with a home run, three doubles, five walks, 10 runs and a team-best 13 RBI.
• Freshman catcher Luke Lowery batted .500 (3-for-6) in a pair of starts behind the plate … Against UNCG he recorded his second multi-hit game of the year going 2-for-3 with an RBI, which came in the second inning … Recorded third career start in Saturday’s contest against Monmouth going 1-for-3 with a run scored … Currently he is batting .412 (7-for-17) with a triple, two RBI, two walks and three runs scored.
• Reynolds notched a pair of saves in three appearances on the week pushing his league total to five … In three outings he fanned five, walked one and gave up four hits in 3.1 scoreless frames … Against UNCG he worked a scoreless ninth allowing two hits with three strikeouts … In the series opener against Monmouth, he allowed one hit in two-thirds of an inning and on Saturday picked up another save in 1.2 innings surrendering one hit with a walk and two punch outs … On the year he owns a team-best 1.00 ERA where he has allowed five runs (one earned) on 11 hits with 11 strikeouts and five walks in 9.0 innings.
• Senior Chris Gosik has started the last four games either in left field or as the designated hitter … Currently he is batting .429 (6-for-14) with a four-game hitting streak … He has collected three RBI, laced two doubles and scored three times. a
• Dylan Brown posted a .385 (5-for-13) average in four starts last week … The junior college transfer ranked second on the team in hits (five) and slugging (.625) … He added a pair of RBI, scored four times and collected his second triple of the season in the series finale against Monmouth … Currently he is batting .280 (14-for-50) with six extra base hits (4 doubles, 2 triples) with eight RBI and nine runs scored … Currently he ranks 37th nationally in triples and 54th in toughest players to strikeout.
• After starting the season 0-3, the Pirates have won nine of its last 13 games, which include three wins in the 10th Annual Keith LeClair Classic, a series sweep of St. John’s and a series win against Monmouth … ECU Head Coach Billy Godwin improved his career coaching record to 524-254-1 and his Pirate record to 262-169-1 … His 261 wins trails only ECU Hall of Famer Dr. Gary Overton, who amassed 427 wins in 13 years (1985-1997) as the Pirates’ skipper.