Baseball Game 7: Liberty at East Carolina
Liberty at East Carolina
Feb. 27, 2013 | 5 p.m. (EST)
RADIO: WNCT 1070 AM
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE GAME
• Following a successful weekend in which East Carolina picked up three wins and improved to 3-3 on the season, the Pirates will continue their 13-game home stand playing host to Liberty (4-2) out of the Big South Conference.
• ECU was picked third in the 2013 Conference USA preseason poll after going 13-10-1 in league play a season ago, finishing in sixth.
• Stepping onto the diamond are 12 new faces, which consists of junior college transfers Dylan Brown (Gulf Coast Community), Zach Houchins (Louisburg) and Ryan Williams (West Valley College), as well as nine true freshmen: Garrett Brooks, Joe Brooks, NIck Durazo, Luke Lowery, Kyle Majette, Andrew Schorr, Justin Taylor, Travis Watkins and Hayden White … Eight of the Pirates 12 new faces have seen action in 2013.
• ECU holds a 6-2 record in the series having dropped its last contest to the Flames 2-0 back on Mar. 13, 2011 during the Keith LeClair Classic … Seven of the eight games have been played in Greenville, while in 1993 the two teams met in Atlanta, Ga. during the NCAA Regionals with ECU coming away with a 6-0 win.
Wednesday: Willie Martin (RHP, 3-0, 3.00 ERA in 2012) vs. Brett Mabry (RHP (0-0, 11.57 ERA)
PIRATES TO WATCH
• Mabry Notes: Made two appearances out of the bullpen during his first year with the Pirates … Tossed two scoreless innings against No. 25 Virginia (Feb. 15) allowing one hit and striking out one … Worked just one-third of an inning against Campbell (Feb. 19) allowing three runs (all earned) on three hits … Transfer from Catawba Valley CC where he posted a 5-4 record with one save in 2012 … Allowed 37 runs (29 earned) on 64 hits in 57.1 innings for a 4.55 ERA … Struck out 60 while walking 26.
• For the second-straight week, Bryan Bass led the club in hitting posting a .400 average (6-for-15) helping ECU to a 3-1 week which included wins in all three games at the 10th Annual Keith LeClair Classic … Bass extended his hit streak to six games on the year and posted a pair of multi-hit games pushing his team lead to three … Against Campbell he drove in his lone run of the week in the fifth inning on a single to right field … In the first game of the LeClair Classic, Bass hit leadoff against Illinois reaching base three times going 1-for-3 with a stolen bases and a pair of walks … He followed that with a 2-for-3 performance against Boston College reaching base in his first three at-bats which included another walk and a stolen base … Bass closed out the week with his second-straight two-hit performance in the event going 2-for-4 with a run scored against New Mexico State … Bass ranked the LeClair Classic leaders in stolen bases (t1st/2), average (3rd/.500), walks (t3rd/3) and hits (t6th/5) … In all, he started all four games at second base recording 10 putouts and 11 assists for a 1.000 fielding percentage … After six games of the 2013 season, he currently leads the team with a .455 average, 10 hits, five walks, .556 on-base percentage and two stolen bases.
• Junior Drew Reynolds put together a solid week of baseball both at the plate and on the mound for the Pirates … In four games, he batted .313 (5-for-16) with an RBI and scored a team-best four runs, while swiping his first career base … Reynolds opened the week with a pair of multi-hit games against Campbell (2-for-4 with a run) and Illinois (2-for-5 with two runs) … He closed the LeClair Classic with a 1-for-3 day and scored his fourth run of the week … His lone RBI came against New Mexico State during the Pirates’ four-run sixth inning … On the mound, he picked up a pair of saves working 3.1 scoreless frames allowing two hits, one walk and fanning four … Against Boston College he fanned two batters and issued a walk in 1.2 frames without allowing a hit … In the LeClair Classic finale, Reynolds entered the game in the eighth with one out and the bases loaded getting a pair of ground outs to Zach Houchins at third to end the threat … Reynolds surrendered a pair of hits in the ninth, but also fanned two Aggies before recording the final out on a fielder’s choice for his second save in as many games … Currently he ranks fourth on the team with a .333 (8-for-24) average with a double, one RBI and a team-best five runs … As a reliever, he owns a 1.93 ERA in three outings with a pair of saves … In 4.2 innings he has surrendered five runs (one earned) on seven hits with three walks and four punch outs.
• Senior Jay Cannon, junior Chase McDonald and true freshman Travis Watkins all drove in three runs on the week … Cannon was 5-for-16 with a double in four starts for the Pirates … He drove in a run in 3 of 4 games and closed out the LeClair Classic with a pair of multi-hit games … Despite batting just .188 (3-for-16) on the week, McDonald accounted for four runs on the week … He drove in a run in 3 of 4 contests and scored a pair of runs in the LeClair Classic … Watkins registered his sixth-straight start behind the plate and batted .400 (4-for-10) on the week … He posted his second multi-hit game of the season with a 2-for-3 performance against Campbell where he also drew a walk and scored a run … In the opening game of the LeClair Classic, he drove in a career-best three runs on a two-RBI single in the sixth and a bases loaded walk in the seventh … On the season, Watkins ranks second on the club with five RBI and has thrown out 2 of 3 base stealers.
• Senior left-hander Jake Harris appeared in two games tossing four scoreless frames … He allowed five hits and fanned three batters … In three contests, Harris has not allowed a run over 4.2 innings and has fanned four.
• Junior Zach Houchins blasted his first home run for the Pirates against Illinois, a two-run shot to left field … He scored a pair of runs during the contest and finished the night 1-for-3.