Keith LeClair Classic Baseball Game 6: New Mexico State at East Carolina
New Mexico St. at East Carolina
Feb. 24, 2013 | 1 p.m. (EST)
RADIO: WNCT 1070 AM
KEITH LeCLAIR CLASSIC
• The Pirates will close out the 10th Annual Keith LeClair Classic on Sunday, Feb. 24 when they play host to New Mexico State at 1 p.m. (EST) … The Pirates already picked up wins against Illinois (8-2) and Boston College (2-1) … ECU owns a 22-7 all-time record in the annual event and has claimed the title four times, most recently in 2010.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE GAME
• Following a pair of wins in the LeClair Classic, the Pirates will look for their third-straight win when they face New Mexico State … With their win Friday night against Illinois, the Pirates avoided their first 0-4 start since 1932, when the school was known as East Carolina Teachers College (ECTC).
• ECU was picked third in the 2013 Conference USA preseason poll after going 13-10-1 in league play a season ago, finishing in sixth.
• Stepping onto the diamond are 12 new faces, which consists of junior college transfers Dylan Brown (Gulf Coast Community), Zach Houchins (Louisburg) and Ryan Williams (West Valley College), as well as nine true freshmen: Garrett Brooks, Joe Brooks, NIck Durazo, Luke Lowery, Kyle Majette, Andrew Schorr, Justin Taylor, Travis Watkins and Hayden White.
Friday: Michael Ormseth (RHP, 0-0, 9.53 ERA) vs. David Lucroy (RHP, 0-0, 99.00 ERA)
PIRATES TO WATCH
• Hoffman Notes: Improved to 1-1 on the year following a stellar performance against Illinois on Thursday night allowing one run (earned) on six hits with a season-high nine strikeouts in 6.2 innings … Suffered loss on opening day to No. 25 Virginia allowing four runs (all earned) on four hits with four walks and seven strikeouts … Rated as the No. 3 sophomore prospect by Baseball America … Listed as the 57th-best player in college baseball by College Baseball Today … Freshman All C-USA selection … C-USA Pitcher-of-the-Week (4/16) … Tossed career-high eight shutout innings with a career-best 10 strikeouts in last outing at Elon (4/10) … Had scoreless outings vs. No. 10 UNC (4/25) and UNCW (4/3) … Three starts were against nationally-ranked teams … Ranked among C-USA leaders in Opp. BA (5th), fewest Hs (t6th), fewest BBs (t6th) fewest Rs (10th) … Among the NCAA leaders in WHIP (88th/1.10) and Hits per 9 innings (92nd/7.33).
• Williams Notes: Notched his first win of the season against Boston College working seven strong innings allowing one run (unearned) on six hits with five strikeouts and one walks … Made ECU debut on Feb. 16 against No. 25 Virginia working six innings, where he allowed four runs (three earned) on six hits with three walks and two strikeouts … Junior College transfer from West Valley College … Two-time All-Golden Gate Conference selection … Helped the Vikings to a 41-32 two-year record … Posted an 8-4 record with a 2.20 ERA and three complete games … Worked 98.1 innings striking out 64 and walking just nine … Golden Glove winner.
• Lucroy Notes: Made collegiate debut against No. 25 Virginia coming out of the bullpen to face one batter … Redshirted during initial year of the program … Played for the Morehead City Marlins of the Coastal Plain League in the summer of 2012 … Posted a 2-1 record with a 2.16 ERA … Appeared in five games making four starts … Allowed 10 runs (six earned) on 17 hits … Struck out 24 while walking 12 in 25.0 innings … Selected in the 29th round (pick 881) of the 2011 Major League Baseball First-Year Amateur Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers … Named 2010 Honorable Mention All-America by Perfect Game … Brother Jonathan is the starting catcher for the Milwaukee Brewers and was named to the 2013 USA World Baseball Classic Roster.
• Junior Jack Reinheimer, who leads the Pirates with a .471 (8-for-17) batting average while slugging .647, sat out Thursday’s game with flu-like symptoms … Recorded multiple hits in all three games thus far including a four-hit performance against Campbell (Feb. 19) … Belted his third career home run and second career round tripper on opening day against No. 25 Virginia … Had 114-game starting streak snapped Thursday, Feb. 21 when he sat out with the flu … Extended current streak of games reached base to 23 with his 4-for-5 performance against Campbell (Feb. 19).
• Junior Drew Reynolds picked up his first save of the season against Boston College working 1.2 scoreless innings with a pair of strikeouts … At the plate this season, he is batting .333 (7-for-21) with three multi-hit games … Heading into the season, Reynolds picked up preseason Second-Team CollegeBaseballInsider.com Louisville Slugger All-American, First-Team All Conference USA (by league coaches) and NCBWA Stopper-of-the-Year Watch List honors … On the mound, Reynolds struggled against No. 25 Virginia working 1.1 innings allowing five runs (one earned) on five hits with two walks.
• Senior Bryan Bass ranks second on the team with a .444 (8-for-18) batting average where he has posted three multi-hit games with three RBI, two runs scored and five walks, which leads the club … One of four senior captains, has started all five games at second base recording 13 putouts and 15 assists.
• Junior Ryan Williams was solid in his Pirate debut against nationally-ranked Virginia working six innings where he allowed four runs (three earned) on six hits with a pair of strikeouts and three walks in his first start … Through five innings he did not allow a run facing no more than four batters in a frame and retired the side in order in the first and fifth frames … In the sixth he allowed a pair of runs (one earned) on two hits, a walk and a Pirate error … He trotted out to the mound in the seventh, but lasted just two batters after allowing a single and a double to start the stanza … Both of his punch outs were swinging to start the first and second innings.
• A pair of freshmen recorded starts during the opening weekend against Virginia … Catcher Travis Watkins has made four starts behind the plate where he is batting .385 (5-for-13) and has driven in a team-best five runs … He has added a pair of multi-hit games to go along with his two walks and one run scored … Outfielder Garrett Brooks has started three games in center for the Pirates where he is batting .167 (2-for-12) with an RBI and two runs scored … He recorded his first collegiate hit in the season opener against nationally-ranked Virginia in the third frame with a single to right field.
• Along with Brooks, Watkins and Williams, seven other players have made their Pirate debuts through four games (LHP Grayson Bailey, OF Dylan Brown, 3B Zach Houchins, C Luke Lowery, RHP David Lucroy, RHP Brett Mabry and RHP Hayden White).
• ECU’s game against New Mexico State will be the first meeting between the two schools.