Gamecocks Host Doubleheader Saturday Beginning at 10:30 a.m.
GREENVILLE, SC Feb. 20, 2013 — The 38th-ranked South Carolina women’s tennis team posted a 7-0 win at Furman on Wednesday evening at the Mickel Tennis Center in Greenville, S.C. The Gamecocks improved to 5-3 on the season with the win, while the Paladins dropped to 1-4.
South Carolina took a hotly contested doubles point from Furman. The Gamecocks claimed an 8-2 victory at the top spot from Jaklin Alawi and Dominika Kanakova against the Paladin duo of Lauren Kline and Alex Moreno-Kaste. Furman responded with a win at No. 3 doubles with Margaret Boyette and Kelly Sullivan defeating Elixane Lechemia and Ximena Siles Luna by an 8-7 count.
Carolina’s Katerina Popova and Josefin Andersson then found themselves in a 6-all tie on court two with Michele Stanford and Amanda Murray in the deciding match for doubles. The Gamecocks managed to win two straight games to secure the 1-0 lead heading to singles and improved their record on the season to a team best 7-1 in the process.
No. 59 Alawi made short work of No. 110 Kline at the top singles position to extend South Carolina’s lead to 2-0 and snap a five-match losing streak. No. 114 Popova cruised past Katherine Oudin on court two 6-2, 6-0, and Kanakova clinched the win for Carolina at No. 4 singles with a 6-4, 6-2 triumph over Stanford.
Lechemia, playing in her first collegiate match, added to Carolina’s point total with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Moreno-Kaste on court three to run the score to 5-0. Siles Luna battled her way to a 6-4, 7-6 victory against Murray at No. 5 singles to improve to 16-5 on the season, the best record for the Gamecocks. Furman concluded the evening with Sullivan coming back to defeat Andersson 4-6, 7-5, (1-0) to avoid a sweep.
The Gamecocks will return home for their next two contests when they host a doubleheader Saturday beginning at 10:30 a.m. against College of Charleston at Carolina Tennis Center. South Carolina then takes on Charleston Southern afterward at 4 p.m.
1. #59 Jaklin Alawi, USC, def. #110 Lauren Kline, FU, 6-1, 6-2
2. #114 Katerina Popova, USC, def. Katherine Oudin, FU, 6-2, 6-0
3. Elixane Lechemia, USC, def. Alex Moreno-Kaste, FU, 6-4, 6-3
4. Dominika Kanakova, USC, def. Michele Stanford, FU, 6-4, 6-2
5. Ximena Siles Luna, USC, def. Amanda Murray, FU, 6-4, 7-6
6. Kelly Sullivan, FU, def. Josefin Andersson, USC, 4-6, 7-5, (1-0)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 6
1. #57 Alawi/Kanakova, USC, def. Kline/Moreno-Kaste, FU, 8-2
2. Popova/Andersson, USC, def. Stanford/Murray, FU, 8-6
3. Boyette/Sullivan, FU, def. Lechemia/Siles Luna, USC, 8-7
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2