Baseball Game 3: Campbell at East Carolina (Feb. 19 at 6 p.m)
Campbell at East Carolina
Feb. 19, 2013 | 6 p.m. EST
RADIO: WNCT 1070 AM
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE GAME
• East Carolina will look for its first win of the 2013 season against Campbell on Tuesday night … The Pirates are coming off a pair of losses at the hands of No. 25 Virginia on opening weekend (14-4, 13-9).
• ECU was picked third in the 2013 Conference USA preseason poll after going 13-10-1 in league play a season ago, finishing in sixth.
• Stepping onto the diamond are 12 new faces, which consists of junior college transfers Dylan Brown (Gulf Coast Community), Zach Houchins (Louisburg) and Ryan Williams (West Valley College), as well as nine true freshmen: Garrett Brooks, Joe Brooks, NIck Durazo, Luke Lowery, Kyle Majette, Andrew Schorr, Justin Taylor, Travis Watkins and Hayden White.
Tuesday: LHP Matt Marksberry vs. RHP Andy Smithmyer
PIRATES TO WATCH
• Senior Andy Smithmyer (RHP) will move from the bullpen into the weekend rotation in 2013 … Made lone start vs. Elon (5/5) working 6.2 scoreless frames allowing four hits with five strikeouts and three walks … Appeared in 21 games out of the bullpen working 54.1 innings where he allowed 21 runs (13 earned) on 46 hits … Led team and C-USA with a 1.92 ERA, which also ranks 14th nationally … Ranked among league leaders in fewest earned runs (1st), fewest runs (t1st), fewest hits (2nd), strikeouts looking (t4th) and Opp. BA (5th) … Recorded 67 strikeouts to 25 walks in 61.0 innings … Notched wins against ODU, No. 11 N.C. State, William & Mary, Southern Miss and VMI … Against the Tribe (4/18) worked 6.0 innings with a season-best 8 Ks … Also had a seven strikeout performance vs. Tulane (4/27) … Out of the pen has tossed 3.0 or more innings 10 times and fanned 3-or more 10 times.
• Senior Bryan Bass batted a team-best .571 (4-for-7) with two RBI, two runs scored and a pair of walks during ECU’s opening weekend against No. 25 Virginia … The senior second baseman recorded a pair of starts on the weekend recording four putouts and six assists … In the season opener, he was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored singling to left field in the sixth inning … On Saturday, he collected his seventh career multi-hit game going 3-for-4 with two RBI … He reached base four times and added a walk and a run scored to go along with his three base knocks … After walking in the second, Bass collected singles in the fourth, eighth and ninth frames … His two-out single in the ninth was a base hit to left center that scored Nick Thompson and Chase McDonald … After two games of the 2013 season, he currently leads the team with a .667 on-base percentage while ranking third with a .571 slugging percentage.
• Junior Chase McDonald extended his current hitting streak to 11 games over the weekend recording a pair of his in both contests, which also extended his streak to six-straight games with multiple hits … He finished the series batting .500 (4-for-8) with three RBI, a walk and two runs scored … In game one he had an RBI double down the left field line in the fifth inning that scored Drew Reynolds … On Saturday he followed with a two RBI double during the Pirates’ five run ninth inning … McDonald recorded 18 putouts in both of his starts at first base.
• Junior Jack Reinheimer belted his third career home run and second career round tripper on opening day … Reinheimer, who extended his current starting streak to 113 games, batted .444 (4-for-9) on the weekend … He drove in a pair of runs and scored twice … Extended current streak of games reached base safely to 23 … Posted his 37th and 38th career multi-hit games against Virginia.
• Junior Ryan Williams was solid in his Pirate debut against nationally-ranked Virginia working six innings where he allowed four runs (three earned) on six hits with a pair of strikeouts and three walks in his first start … Through five innings he did not allow a run facing no more than four batters in a frame and retired the side in order in the first and fifth frames … In the sixth he allowed a pair of runs (one earned) on two hits, a walk and a Pirate error … He trotted out to the mound in the seventh, but lasted just two batters after allowing a single and a double to start the stanza … Both of his punch outs were swinging to start the first and second innings.
• A pair of freshmen recorded starts during the opening weekend against Virginia … Catcher Travis Watkins started both games behind the plate batting .286 (2-for-7) with a pair of RBI … In his collegiate debut on Friday, he drove in a run in the sixth inning and followed that with a two-hit performance (both singles) and another RBI … Watkins recorded his first collegiate hit in the second inning of Saturday’s contest, an RBI single through the left side that scored Nick Thompson … Outfielder Garrett Brooks started both contests in centerfield for the Pirates batting .111 (10for-9) with a run scored and a walk … He recorded his first collegiate hit on Friday afternoon in the third frame with a single to right field.
• Along with Brooks, Mabry, Watkins and Williams, five other players made their Pirate debuts over the weekend (OF Dylan Brown, 3B Zach Houchins, C Luke Lowery, RHP David Lucroy and RHP Hayden White).
• Tuesday’s matchup will mark the 75th between the two schools with East Carolina holding a commanding 54-20 all-time advantage … The two teams last squared off in 2011 with the Pirates claiming victories in Greenville (Mar. 1/ 7-4) and in Buies Creek (Mar. 8/3-2) … ECU’s last lost to Campbell was on Apr. 20, 2010 in Buies Creek, 12-5.