ECU Men’s Tennis Blanks The Citadel, 7-0
Pirates win five of six singles matches in straight sets
GREENVILLE, NC Feb. 7, 2013 – The East Carolina men’s tennis team captured the doubles point and swept all six singles matches to defeat The Citadel, 7-0, at River Birch Tennis Center Thursday. It was first shutout of the season for the Pirates (5-1), which won five singles matches in straight sets and handed the Bulldogs (3-1) their first loss of the year.
Sophomore Joran Vliegen and freshman Colin Roller disposed of the Bulldog tandem of David Orces and Oliver Dedding at No. 1 doubles, 8-3. The sophomore duo of Nicolas Soriano and Patriek Wolterbeek then defeated Elliot Sperr and Alex Howle at No. 3, 8-5, to clinch the point.
Vliegen, Soriano, senior John Schmitt and sophomore Damien Brenard each won in straight sets as the Pirates swept the top four singles flights. Junior Mario Martinez outlasted Matt McGill in three sets on court five and Roller defeated Jackson Pride in straight sets at No. 6 after winning the first set tiebreaker.
The Pirates will return to courts on Sunday, Feb. 10 against Richmond. The match is scheduled to begin at 12 noon at the River Birch Tennis Center.
East Carolina 7, The Citadel 0
1. Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. David Orces (CIT) 6-1, 6-1
2. Nicolas Soriano (ECU) def. Peter Bleach (CIT) 6-2, 6-3
3. John Schmitt (ECU) def. JC Pauli (CIT) 6-3, 6-6
4. Damien Brenard (ECU) def. Elliott Sperr (CIT) 6-1, 6-1
5. Mario Martinez (ECU) def. Matthew McGill (CIT) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
6. Colin Roller (ECU) def. Jackson Pride (CIT) 7-6, 6-3
1. Joran Vliegen/Colin Roller (ECU) def. David Orces/Oliver Dedding (CIT) 8-3
2. Damien Brenard/John Schmitt (ECU) vs. JC Pauli/Peter Bleach (CIT) unfinished
3. Patriek Wolterbeek/Nicolas Soriano (ECU) def. Elliott Sperr/Alex Howle (CIT) 8-5