CofC Cougars Fall to No. 60 Wyoming at ITA Kick-Off Weekend
Durham, NC Jan. 26, 2013 – The No. 62-ranked College of Charleston women’s tennis team fell to No. 60 Wyoming 4-1 in the first round of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend hosted by Duke University in Durham, N.C.
One of the bright spots for the Cougars (1-1) was sophomore Jenny Falcone (Davidson, N.C.) completing a comeback three-set win over Sasa Nemcova of Wyoming 2-6, 6-1, 6-1 in No. 4 singles.
The Greensboro, N.C. combination of senior Christin Newman and freshman Brooke McAmis bested Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova of Wyoming 7-6 in No. 3 doubles.
The team also encountered one of their first ranked doubles teams of the season as No. 52 Veronic Popovici and Simona Synkoya of Wyoming overcame sophomore Samantha Maddox (Lexington, Ky.) and senior Irene Viana (Paris, France) in the No. 1 slot.
“It was a tough match, Wyoming did a much better job on the big points of the match than us which was a surprise” CofC Director of Tennis Angelo Anastopoulo said. “We’ll have to rebound and play better in tight situations against a much-improved Wisconsin team tomorrow. I feel like our team is similar to the Jamaican bobsled team in Cool Runnings – the longer we’re up here in the cold the better we get indoors.”
The Cougars will square off against No. 74 Wisconsin in the consolation match tomorrow at 1 p.m. (ET).
Wyoming 4, College of Charleston 1
Jan 26, 2013
Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center
at Durham, N.C.
1. Veronica Popovici (Wyoming) def. Christin Newman (CofC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Simona Synkova (Wyoming) def. Kelly Kambourelis (CofC) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
3. Alexandra Kovacs (Wyoming) vs. Brooke McAmis (CofC) 7-6 (9-7), 3-3, unfinished
4. Jenny Falcone (CofC) def. Sasa Nemcova (Wyoming) 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
5. Jessica Parizher (Wyoming) vs. Samantha Maddox (CofC) 1-6, 6-4, 2-0, unfinished
6. Christa Gecheva (Wyoming) def. Grace Baker (CofC) 6-3, 7-5
1. #52 Veronica Popovici/Simona Synkova (Wyoming) def. Samantha Maddox/Irene Viana (CofC) 8-3
2. Alexandra Kovacs/Sasa Nemcova (Wyoming) def. Kelly Kambourelis/Jenny Falcone (CofC) 8-6
3. Christin Newman/Brooke McAmis (CofC) def. Jessica Parizher/Silviya Zhelyazkova (Wyoming) 7-6
ORDER OF FINISH
Doubles: 1, 2
Singles: 1, 2, 4, 6*