HANOVER, NH Jan. 26, 2013 – Clemson defeated #51 Brown 4-0 in a men’s intercollegiate tennis match at Hanover, NH Saturday afternoon.
Today’s victory marked the second consecutive match that the Tigers have defeated a higher ranked team. On Friday evening Clemson defeated 49th-ranked Dartmouth 4-0.
Yannick Maden and Dominique Maden remained undefeated in dual match play with a 5-0 record as the duo defeated Brandon Burke and Sam Fife 8-5 at number-one doubles in today’s match. The Maden brothers are now 15-3 overall in doubles play this season, and are ranked 18th according to the latest ITA poll.
Hunter Harrington and Zachary Rigsby defeated Will Spector and Jacob Laser 8-7 (8-6) in a tie-breaker set to clinch the doubles point for Clemson and give the Tigers the early 1-0 advantage.
After winning the doubles point, Clemson won three singles matches and the other three singles matches were not finished. Gerardo Meza defeated Spector of Brown 6-2, 6-2 at number-three singles. Rigsby of Clemson defeated Daniel Hirschberg 6-1, 6-0 at number-five singles. The Tigers’ Austin Ansari defeated Lucas da Silveira at number-six singles 6-3, 7-6.
“This weekend we became more of a unit by putting the team first,” said Clemson Head Coach Chuck McCuen. “The guys are starting to understand that as a team we have to leave everything out there each and every day.”
“Rigsby and Harrington pulled out a big doubles match to give us momentum heading into singles. Rigsby, Meza, and Ansari did a great job closing out their matches verse a solid team.”
Clemson 4 Brown 0
1. Yannick Maden (CU) vs. Brandon Burke (B) DNF
2. Hunter Harrington (CU) vs. Michael Riechmann (B) DNF
3. Gerardo Meza (CU) d. Will Spector (B) 6-2, 6-2
4. Dominique Maden (CU) vs. Sam Fife (B) DNF
5. Zachary Rigsby (CU) d. Daniel Hirschberg (B) 6-1, 6-0
6. Austin Ansari (CU) d. Lucas da Silveira (B) 6-3, 7-6.
1. Y. Maden/D. Maden (CU) d. Burke/Fife (B) 8-5
2. Riechmann/Mike Hill (B) d. Meza/Ayrton Wibowo (CU) 8-6
3. Harrington/Rigsby (B) d. Spector/Jacob Laser (B) 8-7 (8-6)