WILMINGTON, North Carolina – The UNCW men’s tennis team registered its second shutout in as many days Monday when the Seahawks crushed Appalachian State, 9-0, at the UNCW courts.
The Seahawks improved to 2-0 on the season heading into play this weekend in the National Indoors in Gainesville, Fla. UNCW faces South Alabama in an opening-round match Saturday, with Florida and St. John’s in the opposite side of the bracket. ASU dropped to 0-2.
In Sunday’s match, the Seahawks and Mountaineers played an alternative format with eight singles matches and the doubles point. UNCW swept all eight singles contests and clinched the doubles point as well.
The Seahawks allowed just three games in nailing down the doubles point as 10th-ranked Chris Cooprider and Kosta Blank swept past Zach Bost and Sebastien King, 8-1, at No. 1 and the No. 3 team of Rafael Aita and Michael Reilly ousted Robert Jenkins and Steve Lake, 8-2.
In singles, Aita, ranked 37th by the ITA, was the first off the court after disposing of King, 6-2, 6-0, and Reilly routed Jenkins, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 6 singles to increase the score to 3-0. Sophomore Kaue Pereira then knocked off Steve Karendal, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 3 singles and Pedro Mol clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-3, triumph over Matt Saltsgaver.
UNCW 9, Appalachian State 0
Jan. 21, 2013
1. #37 Rafael Aita (UNCW) d. Sebastien King (ASU), 6-2, 6-0
2. Chris Cooprider (UNCW) d. Zach Bost (ASU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Kaue Pereira (UNCW) d. Steve Karendal (ASU), 6-4, 6-1
4. Kosta Blank (UNCW) d. Andrew McKinnon (ASU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Pedro Mol (UNCW) d. Matt Saltsgaver (ASU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Michael Reilly (UNCW) d. Robert Jenkins (ASU), 6-1, 6-1
7. Zach Hublitz (UNCW) d. Steve Lake (ASU), 6-4, 6-0
8. Christiaan van der Burgh (UNCW) d. Zeke Sansing (ASU), 6-2, 6-2
1. #10 Chris Cooprider-Kosta Blank (UNCW) d. Zach Bost/Sebastien King (ASU), 8-1
2. Pedro Mol-Kaue Pereira (UNCW) vs. Andrew McKinnon-Steve Karendal (ASU), 7-2, unfinished
3. Rafael Aita-Michael Reilly (UNCW) d. Robert Jenkins-Steve Lake (ASU), 8-2