CLEMSON, SC—Clemson defeated Furman 7-0 in a men’s intercollegiate tennis match at Clemson, SC Wednesday evening.
With the win, Clemson is now 1-0 on the year, while Furman falls to 1-2 this season. The match was played indoors at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. Clemson is ranked 60th as a team according to the latest ITA poll.
Clemson has now won the season-opener in men’s tennis for the last 10 years.
Senior Yannick Maden won at number-one singles and number-one doubles in today’s match. The senior is ranked 75th nationally and he defeated Andrew Mellow of Furman 6-2, 6-2.
He also teamed with his brother Dominique Maden and the duo won at number-one doubles over the Paladins’ Andrew Mellow and Joel Cook 8-1. The Maden brothers are ranked 18th nationally as a doubles team.
“This was a great way to open the 2013 season,” said Clemson Head Coach Chuck McCuen. Furman is always a great match. They have a good program and they are always well-coached. We wish them well for the rest of the year.
“I was real pleased with our doubles teams,” said McCuen. “They are coming together really well. I am proud of the entire team. I can’t say enough about Yannick Maden. He played in a tournament in Germany last week and he came out and didn’t have any let downs. He and his brother Dominique were ready to play. Ayrton Wibowo had a good comeback win at number-five singles.”
Clemson will play Winthrop and Davidson on Saturday morning at Davidson, NC in a doubleheader in the Tigers’ next action.
Clemson 7, Furman 0
1. #75 Yannick Maden (CU) d. Andrew Mellow (F) 6-2, 6-2
2. Hunter Harrington (CU) d. Alex Christ (F) 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
3. Gerardo Meza (CU) d. Joel Cook (F) 6-3, 6-4
4. Dominique Maden (CU) d. Matt Browne (F) 6-2, 6-2
5. Ayrton Wibowo (CU) d. Jacob Hehal (F) 6-7, 7-6, 10-7
6. Austin Ansari (CU) d. Luke Synn (F) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 3, 2, 6, 5
1. #18 Yannick Maden/Dominique Maden (CU) d. Andrew Mellow/Joel Cook (F) 8-1
2. Gerardo Meza/Ayrton Wibowo (CU) d. Alex Christ/Richard Casagrande (F) 8-2
3. Hunter Harrington/Zachary Rigsby (CU) d. Matt Browne/Jacob Behal (F) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2