NC State WBB Battles Wake Forest Sunday at 2 pm in Winston-Salem
NC State picked up a road win last year at Wake Forest behind 26 points from Kody Burke
Game #15: NC State (8-6, 0-2 ACC) at Wake Forest (7-6, 0-1 ACC)
Sunday, Jan. 6, 2013 • 2 p.m. ET
Winston-Salem, N.C. • Lawrence Joel Coliseum
Radio: 88.1 FM WKNC
Radio Crew: Patrick Kinas and Paige Woodard
The Wolfpack is fresh off a strong performance in its upset bid of No. 3 Duke on Thursday at Reynolds Coliseum. Despite the 67-57 loss, the Pack kept it close for the majority of the contest, trailing my just one point with less than eight minutes to play. The lead changed four times, and NC State led by as many as three points in the first half.
The Pack limited its turnovers all night to just 13, and did a good job of getting to the line, going 15-of-21. However, Chelsea Gray and Haley Peters combined for 38 points to keep the Blue Devils unbeaten on the season at 12-0.
NC state is 61-11 all-time against Wake Forest, but the last four meetings have seen each team come up with four victories. Last year each club picked up a road victory, including a 75-66 win for State in Winston-Salem. Kody Burke and Bonae Holston combined for 43 points and 18 rebounds in the January 16 meeting last season. Burke scored a career-high 26 points to go with eight rebounds, four blocks and three steals that night.
In four career games against Wake, Burke averages 18.3 points on 56.8 percent shooting.
NC State wraps up its tour through Tobacco Road by hosting No. 15/23 North Carolina on Thursday at 7 p.m., on the ACC Digital Network on YouTube.
Wolfpack Fastbreak Points…
• NC State is 26-6 all-time in away games against Wake Forest
• The Pack has shot 50.0% or better in five games this season. Only happened once in 2011-12
• Eight players average at least 5.0 points per game; all 8 have played in all 14 games
• State has played in an ACC-leading four games decided by 5 points or less (2-2 record)
• State is 2nd in ACC with 72 3PT FGs this season; 4th in 3FG% (33.0)
• Kody Burke has averaged 18.3 points on 56.8% shooting in four career games vs. Wake
• Burke ranks T16 in ACC history with a school record 1.7 blocks per game career avg.
• Burke has made 91 FGs this season; 2nd only to Tianna Hawkins (99) in the ACC
• Marissa Kastanek ranks 22nd in ACC history with 196 career three-point FGs
• Marissa Kastanek is one of 30 players nominated for Senior CLASS Award
• The 102 points scored against Longwood is the most in the ACC this season
• State was the only D1 WBB team to have two 2012 Academic All-Americans
- Marissa Kastanek (second team) and Kody Burke (third team)